Rekindling an old friendship

No, not with Rachael…with my crock-pot. Let me explain… Every day that I come home for lunch and Jake is not at home (which is most days this summer), I spend my lunch break with my good friend Rachael Ray.  Now I know that there are differing opinions of Rachael, and there are many who would question her true merits as a cook, but I LOVE her.  I love her show, I love her corny jokes and catch-phrases, I love her big goofy smile, and I especially love the food she cooks.  She doesn’t get too extravagant and weird with her food.  Most of it is very “normal-people” kind of food.  Well, today she had a lady on her show who made a new year’s resolution to cook dinner with her crock-pot every night for a year.  That’s right, 365 crock-pot dinners.  Now, this is NOT something that I will be attempting, but it did rekindle in me my love for my crock-pot.  I’ve been neglecting it lately.  It’s been pushed to the back of a cabinet and forgotten.  But not anymore.  Not since seeing how much use that lady’s getting out of her crock-pot.  You can go to her blog to read the details of every nights supper–the good, the bad, and the ugly.  But back to me and the reviving of my relationship with my crock-pot…I only had 10 minutes left before I had to head back to work, so I knew I needed to work quickly.  I went with a tried and true Chicken Marinara with Pasta.  Mmmmm….just two boneless, skinless chicken breasts, my own personal marinara sauce (you can use the jarred variety) and a crock-pot.  Dump it in, turn it on, and leave it for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.  When it’s done, shred it with two forks and pile it on the pasta of your choice.  We went with angel hair tonight, and it was delicious!  Minimal work, minimal clean-up, and a fantastic home cooked meal–what’s not to love about a crock-pot?!  (Don’t forget to go check out the CrockPot365 blog.)
I did stop long enough to take a picture:
Crock Pot Marinara Chicken

*special thanks to Dave and Emily for having a yard-sale and providing the crock-pot used to prepare this dish. What would we do without you guys? :-)

10 Comments

1. It looks delicious. Any idea how many points per serving?

2. Um…well, the pasta is what…4 points per cup? The chicken…2-3 pts. per serving? And then the marinara is just tomato sauce, tomato paste, and seasonings, which I don’t think have any (or not many) points at all…sooooo, maybe 6 to 7 points per serving? I’m just guessing, though. You could figure it out exactly if you wanted. In any event, it’s pretty healthy. If we’d had whole wheat pasta I would have used it instead, but we didn’t. Eat it with a salad or some green beans and you have a pretty balanced meal.

3. So, I am a lazy cook and I use my crock pot about once a week. Well, I am so lazy that I DESPISE cleaning the crock once the meal is through and since NOBTS doesn’t put dishwashers in their kitchens (probably because they are WAY TOO SMALL kitchens) I stopped using the thing for awhile. Until, one glorious day I was in Wal-Mart and discovered Crock Pot liners!!! They are in the section with ziplocks, wax paper, etc. and are phenomenal! You put a liner in, plop your stuff in the crock and when supper is eaten and the crock has cooled, you simply through the liner and the annoying stuff to clean up in the trash!!! Ahhh….I love those things!!!

Oh yeah, thanks for the comment on my blog and like a moron I replied back only to realize that I don’t think my blog sends you a notification if someone else posts- so you have a response if you want to go check it! HA!

4. It was supposed to say “throw the liner” not “through the liner”- oops!

5. Stephanie–I tried those liners one time, but it seems like I remember making a bigger mess trying to use the thing than I usually did without…probably just because I’m prone to messes anyway. :-) This dish wasn’t bad, though. As soon as we finished eating, I scooped what was left into a rubbermaid dish for later, and then filled it with hot water. After about 5 minutes, I came back, rinsed it, and all was clean and happy again. No biggie. Now, velveeta cheese dip is another story…

6. I think we will have to get our crock pot out soon too. There is a mexican chicken recipe that I think we will try this week. I have grown to enjoy watching Rachel too even though I don’t cook!

7. I’m glad to see that thing getting some use! It was a lifesaver for us when we were at the apartment at Blood River. We just left it there for when we came in on the weekends, and used our other one @ NOBTS. I’m also glad to see that it cleaned up! If I remember, it wasn’t the cleanest thing when you guys got it! :)

BTW, Em and I like to watch Rachel Ray too. It’s the only cooking show she’ll watch. I like to watch most of them. It’s actually how I learned to cook!

8. Well, Dave has taken control of the board again…

Yep, it cleaned up nicely. We have another crockpot that we got as a wedding present, but it’s a whopping 6 quarts, and that’s really too big for just the two of us. The 2 quart one we got from you guys is just right. So, thanks!

9. did you REALLY take that picture?? it looks straight out of a magazine!!!

10. Thanks, Shannon! That means a lot coming from a photographer! :-) Yes, I did actually take the picture. Although it was difficult to hold back my hunger long enough to do so. :-)